Mike Espy Biography / Wiki
Born on November 30, 1953, Alphonso Michael Espy or Mike Espy is an American politician who served as the 25th United States Secretary of Agriculture from 1993 to 1994 and both the first African American and the first person from the Deep South to hold the position. A member of the Democratic Party, Espy previously served as the U.S. Representative for Mississippi’s 2nd congressional district from 1987 to 1993. Espy lost in the November 6 nonpartisan special election before facing Republican Cindy Hyde-Smith in a November 27 runoff.
Mike Espy Family / Siblings / Ethnicity
Mike was born in Yazoo City, Mississippi. He is the grandson of Thomas J. Huddleston Sr., founder of the Afro-American Sons and Daughters, a fraternal society that operated the Afro-American Hospital, a leading provider of health care for Black people in the state from the 1920s to the 1970s. He attended Howard University in Washington, D.C., and was active in student politics, holding several elective positions. He earned his Juris Doctor from Santa Clara University School of Law in California in 1978.
Mike Espy Wife / Girlfriend / Married / Children
He married Sheila Bell, with whom he had two children before they divorced. Espy married Portia Ballard in 1999 and has one child from her. For more updates, follow him on Twitter, Instagram or visit back to our site Celebmezzo.
Mike Espy Age / Net Worth / 2021
As of 2021, Espy is 68 years old and has a net worth of $2 million.
Wiki / Profile
- Full Name: Alphonso Michael Espy
- Birthday: November 30, 1953
- Age in 2021: 60
- Birth Place: Yazoo City, Mississippi, U.S.
- School: N/A
- College/University: Howard University, Santa Clara University School of Law
- Education: Juris Doctor
- Profession: American Politician
- Nationality: American
- Ethnicity/Race: Black
- Religion: N/A
- Zodiac: Sagittarius
- Net Worth: $2 million
- Height: 5 feet 9 inches
- Weight: 80 kg
- Feet/Shoe Size: N/A
- Dress Size: N/A
- Body Measurement: N/A
- Body Type: Unkown
- Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Black
- Father: N/A
- Mother: N/A
- Siblings: N/A
- Wife\Spouse: Sheila Bell, Portia Ballard
- Girlfriend/Dating/Affairs: N/A
- Children: 3
Trivia / Facts
- He is a Democratic.
- He was both the first African American and the first person from the Deep South to hold the position.
- He is the grandson of Thomas J. Huddleston Sr., founder of the Afro-American Sons and Daughters, a fraternal society that operated the Afro-American Hospital.
- He was an attorney with Central Mississippi Legal Services between 1978 and 1980 and was later the Assistant Secretary of State to Mississippi Legal Services.
- In November 1986, Espy was elected as a Democrat to the 100th Congress from Mississippi’s 2nd congressional district.
- He supports gun ownership and received the National Rifle Association’s (NRA) Silver Rifle award in 1988 for supporting its positions on gun laws.
- On August 27, 1997, he was indicted on charges of receiving improper gifts, including sports tickets, lodging, and airfare.